Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Little Taste . . .

Get ready to fill your stocking with the sequel to "As I Close My Eyes." The next book in the breaking fate series, "As I Wake," is coming out December 15. Here's a little sneak peak . . .



Something is digging into my spine. A pebble? No. A piece of glass? Maybe, but it’s round and dull. And I’m wet. Just underneath my head, although I can feel water slowly making its way down my neck and onto my back, saturating my clothing. Shadows move in between rays of fading evening sun from a window just above my head. Someone is talking. It’s a man. Again, a voice I recognize. I must have passed out and I can feel Ben’s hands on my shoulders, gently shaking me. As soon as I hear his name in my head I’m relaxed and the cold wetness beneath me no longer matters. Nor does the object piercing my lower back. I’m lying on a wood floor, moving the tips of my fingers in and out of the deep grooves in the planks. My ring finger stops on a nail sticking out of one of the floorboards. The head of the nail is round, like the object making an indent in my skin.
“Elizabeth, can you hear me?” shouts a dark figure hovering over me.
I find myself in the same precarious situation in this black hole of time travel. I can’t speak, though I know in a few moments I will be able to sit up and assess the situation. I assume I went deeply into Cape May again, but oddly don’t remember a bit of it. Is it me they are calling? It can't be. I'm Caroline, not Elizabeth.
Everything looks different as I blink my eyes open and catch glimpses of the scenery around me. Sweat and a smell like the dark corners of a musty basement invade my nostrils, leaving the ocean air I expected to breath in absent from my senses. It’s dark and cigarette smoke has filled the room, creating a fog as the crowd around me assembles. Their clothing brushes against my face and tickles my bare arms.
These faces aren’t familiar. Where is Rebecca? Does she have Grace? I can feel my heart beat faster and faster, sending me into a shudder of anxiety. I keep my eyes open for a few more seconds, longer than I’ve been able to so far. Everything looks strange.
When am I?

1 comment:

  1. I think the admin of this web site is actually working hard for his web page, since here every information is quality based material.
    Thank you very much admin has been sharing information that very nice

    Cara Mengobati Kanker Darah atau Leukimia Cara Mudah untuk Tampil Cantik dan Awet Muda Cara Mengatasi Lemak Berlebih Dalam Tubuh Obat Herbal Penyempitan Pembuluh Darah Di Otak Gejala Pneumonia

    ReplyDelete